The king

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

captjack USER_AVATAR
CaptJack
Outlaw

Re: The king

Postby CaptJack » Wed May 15, 2019 1:30 am

22"OldSmokey • 2-burner gasser with GrillGrates
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Wed May 15, 2019 8:22 pm

GRailsback wrote:You could tell by her instagram post that she was fully expecting to take some criticism. And I suspect she probably has. I don't do the tweeter deal and bookface and the instagram stuff so I don't really know what the backlash has been from Norway, or anywhere else for that matter. This BBQ forum and a Texas racing forum is the extent my my online social media footprint.

Is this horse racing or car racing? I'm kinda curious.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Wed May 15, 2019 11:43 pm

Pick one, and since you are already well schooled on the royals, I would go ahead and head to the window and place your bet on the Shaman,
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Mon May 20, 2019 2:43 pm

Was out on the sea again yesterday when we had a few hours of nice weather. .The king's ship was moored in the harbor. Looked for the shaman, but couldn't see him. Circled around it. Also posting a few pictures from the oceanfront downtown. Imagethe kings ship.Imageamong the newest apartments at the oceanfrontImagethe old forth built in 1299 by the king Hakon V Magnusson. My direct ancestor straight up, 21 generations back.ImageThe OperaImagethe brick building with two towers is the city hall.

Sent fra min SM-N950F via Tapatalk
Instagram: Norway_joe1
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Mon May 20, 2019 4:43 pm

Beautiful waters and city, Joe.

So, all this talk made me interested in this Shaman business, so I did a little internet research. Turns out he had been hanging out with Gwyneth Paltrow, a noted intellectual and largely irritating celebrity with a head so empty, her ears whistle when the wind blows (I know, I shouldn't be talking about people I don't know, but a wise person once said, "If you can't say something nice about somebody, come sit next to me.").

So, Strike One for the 'Ol Shaman.

Then there's his profession. He's some sorta free-roaming spiritual guide who evidently gifted at changing planes... probably between Los Angeles and Norway... "A spiritual guide and gifted healer, Shaman Durek acts as a mediator or ‘bridge’ between the spiritual and physical planes, applies ancient spiritual wisdom, coupled with decades of devoted study and practice, to help bring success, happiness and healing into people's lives." Now, how a person makes their living is their own business, and it's a free world, people have a right to spend the cash they inherited from their rich daddy or earned making B movies in Hollywierd anyway they want, but a guy who makes a living as a "shaman"? I think I'd rather pay my bartender and barber for philosophical advice.

Strike Two.

Then, there's the whole issue of how one conducts oneself. Now I am all for everyone being their own person, but the future Prince-in-Law of Norway should certainly accept that he needs to conduct himself in public in a dignified way that reflects culture and class upon his adopted home country. Think about Grace Kelly, who actually upgraded the Monarchy of Monaco a bit, there's an example, she was the perfect example of class at public events, provided she didn't run down some peasants with her sports car going 120 kilometers per hour going to and from said public events. Princess Diana, she had some class. Even Prince Edward in a can had class, being military bearing and polish right there on the front of the can. On the other end of the spectrum, putting on rabbit ears like a desktop television antenna ain't my idea of cosmopolitan class and grace (see below)... and he really needs to find a better clothier, those blazers he's wearing look like something from the Al Czervik School of Fashion.

Strike Three, Shaman swings, Shaman misses.

Now yer ancestor Hakon V Magnusson (we Texans would probably nickname him Magnum) seems to have been a good and square bloke in comparison, running the kingdom, building large fortresses to defend his country, limiting the power of magnates and such, and ending the Dano-Norwegian wars and bringing peace. That's the kind of King we Texans can have a kinship with, a fellow that simply wants to build up his ranch, benefit all the people that live on it, and live in peace with the neighbors so long as they keep their cows out of his gardens. Yessir, salt of the earth, a worthy type of ancestor. I find that a very cool thing you being descended from him, and keeping the Norge seafaring traditions alive. One thing, if you would, when you see him next, let the current King know that his boat looks great, but he could really use a big outdoor smoker and grill set up out there on the deck, or maybe he could set it up on a little bay cruiser like we have here on the Gulf (I bet Greg Railsback or Egghead has the necessary connections). If He puts that kind of equipment together, we Texans will come over and cook up some barbecue for He and the people and have a nice party, and no worries about refreshments, if he supplies the fish, we'll bring the beer. Shiner Bocks for everybody!
Attachments
107F4965-30DA-4C3D-85C3-4526D07B3A35.jpeg
107F4965-30DA-4C3D-85C3-4526D07B3A35.jpeg (58.87 KiB) Viewed 2280 times
F8B791B6-6DF3-4520-8AD5-E64A68E68D5C.jpeg
F8B791B6-6DF3-4520-8AD5-E64A68E68D5C.jpeg (77.58 KiB) Viewed 2280 times
4B99E64C-5A30-4BD8-B5C7-2E764E905852.gif
4B99E64C-5A30-4BD8-B5C7-2E764E905852.gif (482.31 KiB) Viewed 2280 times
7CF7C001-8D6A-424B-A9C9-20B6EB47EE1B.gif
7CF7C001-8D6A-424B-A9C9-20B6EB47EE1B.gif (961.14 KiB) Viewed 2280 times
43DFF181-90D7-406C-90F4-9AF9D0DA874E.jpeg
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Mon May 20, 2019 5:53 pm

(I know, I shouldn't be talking about people I don't know, but a wise person once said, "If you can't say something nice about somebody, come sit next to me.").

Boots, that is classic.

And you are right Boots, the King has plenty of room for a larger wood burning unit, but he should at least have something. Here are some photos from about 5 miles up the Gaudalupe from Canyon Lake, grilling some sausages. My brother my Mrs and a friend of hers.

IMG_0302.JPG

IMG_0303.JPG

IMG_0304.JPG

IMG_0305.JPG

IMG_0306.JPG

IMG_0309.JPG
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Mon May 20, 2019 6:09 pm

Grillin on a boat and hangin out enjoying life and family/friends...

What a great day
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Mon May 20, 2019 11:40 pm

I love the way this thread goes with boats and grilling.

That shaman is a complete joke. He says that if people are not healed by him it's because they don't believe it are open to accepting his energy. He himself, had a kidney transplant some years ago. Didn't he believe?

Big discussion here about stripping the princess from her title and it's not been rejected by the castle.

The current queen is also of a type you mention Boots. A lady from the people without any royal connection. She has been a good queen.

Regarding the missing pit on the ship I'll absolutely let the king know. I'm sure he would appreciate some help from Texas.

I'm impressed about what you know about my ancestor King Magnum.

That little gas grill on the boat was great. Nice boat, too. Are you using it much, Greg?

boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Tue May 21, 2019 7:59 am

Canoed the Guadalupe w my Dad as a kid, below the pilings where a big bridge used to be. It got a little western in the rapids, I weighed 75 and Dad weighed about 225 and well, the canoe just wouldn’t trim right.

I love history so I researched old Magnum. Seems like he came in and went out “with his boots on”, which in Texan means he lived a good and full life.

The King should invite the Shaman to go water skiing behind the big boat. Say, from Norway to Greenland.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Tue May 21, 2019 9:38 am

Boots says "The King should invite the Shaman to go water skiing behind the big boat. Say, from Norway to Greenland."

Now thats funny.

Joe, we use the boat often. It has been a good boat. We bought it used, it was a 1 owner when we bought it back in 2003.

IMG_3109.jpg
The boat in the lake at the party cove.

IMG_2695.jpg
This is where they sit. The one on the left is an ole cuddy cabin my uncle gave me.

IMG_4579.JPG
And here is our place at the lake.
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Tue May 21, 2019 10:07 am

Cool. You have two boats. What type is that to the left in the "carport"?

Beautiful from the water. Is it a lake or the sea?

grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Tue May 21, 2019 11:24 am

Joe, the one on the left is a 1997 Starcraft Islander 22 ft. Cuddy Cabin. It has a queen bed in it and a little porta potty. My incle gave it to me. He used to live on a house boat in the summers on the Mighty Mississippi. And in the winter he lived in Corpus Christi Texas. This boat he kept in a slip on the river to run around in. He remarried and got rid of the house boat as it wasn't big enough for the 2 of them. He owned a couple of lots in the river town, and he built a summer house there. And then he got to where he wasn't even putting this boat in the water when he would be up there for the summer he asked me if I wanted it. Not sure what I ever did to him, but I went and picked it up. So i keep it and maintain it in his honor, as he has passed away. My aunt still lives in Corpus, and she still goes up to the summer home as well. She will leave in mid June and head up there. I have a cousin that will have the house opened up and ready for her when she gets there. And when she leaves to come back to Texas he will winterize the place and close it up for her.

That is lake water Joe, Canyon Lake Texas. You can look it up, cleanest water in the State, in my opinion of course.

IMG_3076.jpg
Here it is at the lake house ready for the water.

IMG_3079.JPG
Here it is on the water. Our neighbor was behind us and took this photo.

IMG_3106.jpg
Here is the party boat. it is very comfortable to spend a day on.
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Tue May 21, 2019 1:01 pm

Nice. Good story. Thanks for sharing.

GTR
Bandolero

Postby GTR » Tue May 21, 2019 4:28 pm

This whole "shaman" thing reminds me of Nicholas II Tsar of Russia and Grigori Rasputin. Hope history doesn't try and repeat itself.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grigori_Rasputin

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicholas_II_of_Russia
"The days I keep my expectations low and my gratitude high, I have really good days."
Ray Wylie Hubbard
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Tue May 21, 2019 11:02 pm

That's scary. Let's hope that isn't going to happen. Impressed that you could see this similarity. Very interesting, indeed.

Return to “General Discussion”