Cleaning the barrel of the 22 Cal. Rifle

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Re: Cleaning the barrel of the 22 Cal. Rifle

Postby Norway Joe » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:45 am

Chasdev wrote:As I near 70 yrs, there's many things I miss, but the eyesight of my youth is high on the list.
I used to shoot long range rifle with open sights but now I can barely read the list of ingredients on my vitamin bottle!
Use em while you got em..

I couldn't agree more. We have been blessed with two kids, both of them have been doing this Biathlon sport. Because of the weapon we are required to come with them to every practice until they are 16. The kid in pictures above is 17.. That means that we have had the pleasure to be at the shooting range Monday to Thursday from 6 pm until 8 pm plus saturdays and sundays, summer and winter from they where 10 years old. Many people are asking us if this isn't tiresome. The answer is absolutely no. We are privileged that have kids where we can participate in and follow their progress for many years. Just seeing their proud face in the beginning when they scored 5 hits in a series was worth it alone and I am so happy I've been able and fortunate enough to spend this time with them in their younger years. Probably only one more year now, because the oldest one has applied for the armed forces when he finish upper secondary school in a year and a half. We have mandatory service in Norway, but they have been more selective and only admit those who are motivated to serve. Biathlon guys are obviously attractive for the armed forces because they are fit and already know how to handle a weapon.

I already feel I will miss him, so I have no problem relating to Chasdev's statement above.
Instagram: Norway_joe1
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:59 pm

Not my intention to brag, but wish to show the level that these athletes operate. A picture of a typical series. This was shot today by my son after 3.5 km on ski at full speed. Distance 50 meter with a Heartbeat during shooting of 182 bpm. 5 shots. Shooting time 35 seconds. The circle with a dashed line in center is 15 mm in diameter.Image

Sent fra min SM-N950F via Tapatalk
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:43 pm

For those of us that speak Texan 15mm is about .6 inch, 50 M is half a football field.
tarde venientibus ossa....
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:45 pm

That’s a heck of a shot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:48 am

:salut: :cheers: if my heart rate got that high, I wouldn't even be able to clap my hands together :whiteflag:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:56 pm

Go Norge!! Always admired the Norwegian patriots from the stories of WWII, James Bond had nothing on them. Loved the Anschutz too; I competed in small bore short gun four years in college up to the collegiate championships with my trusty Smith Model 41 for Standard Pistol, a Feinwerkbau air pistol, and one really goofy looking custom free pistol with a clam shell grip and an electronic trigger so soft it would go off if you as much as gave it a dirty look. Back in those days, used to win beers off my teammates by shooting holes in a penny at 50 feet (well, full confession I did it once and with one shot, and won 2 oil can Foster's off my buddy for pulling it off. I still think I coulda done it 9 times outta 10, at that time I was really dialed in and had a resting heart rate of about 45. Those were the days).
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:22 pm

Boots wrote:Go Norge!! Always admired the Norwegian patriots from the stories of WWII, James Bond had nothing on them. Loved the Anschutz too; I competed in small bore short gun four years in college up to the collegiate championships with my trusty Smith Model 41 for Standard Pistol, a Feinwerkbau air pistol, and one really goofy looking custom free pistol with a clam shell grip and an electronic trigger so soft it would go off if you as much as gave it a dirty look. Back in those days, used to win beers off my teammates by shooting holes in a penny at 50 feet (well, full confession I did it once and with one shot, and won 2 oil can Foster's off my buddy for pulling it off. I still think I coulda done it 9 times outta 10, at that time I was really dialed in and had a resting heart rate of about 45. Those were the days).
Thanks. Cool story about your shooting. Impressive shooting. Many people are afraid of weapons but if you learn to handle them properly they can give you a lot of fun. Target shooting is a sport that requires focus and a lot of practice. Your heart rate was in the opposite end of the Biathlon guys. I can imagine their face winning beer for their shooting. I don't I know the weapons you used but they sound interesting. The Anschutz I'd a good rifle but the trigger harder than what you used I think. It's required to need at least 500 grams weight before triggering. That's a safety requirement because they are moving around people with the rifle. The trigger is measured before each competition. The hang a 500 gram weight on the trigger and it must not go off.

Regarding the WWII we had a lot of sailors working on freight ships freighting war material for the allies during the war. We lost around 3700 sailor and around 200 ships during the war. Unfortunately those who survived didn't get the recognition they deserved and it took 25 years before their efforts where recognized.

norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:54 am

Race day today. Beautiful day. Preparing for the race.m before start. -4 Fahrenheit. Every competitor has to do a 2-3 test rounds of shooting before start. Adjusting for wind and weather.

I am starter today. Sending about 300 racers away with 30 seconds interval between each.ImageImageImage

grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:09 am

Mr Joe, I recommend they build a bigger fire. Good luck to your sons today.
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:24 am

GRailsback wrote:Mr Joe, I recommend they build a bigger fire. Good luck to your sons today.
Thanks. My sons are not starting today. They've got a Cold. We are awaiting if we can start the race. It's a limit for the younger competitors. Can't be below 5f because of the stress on their lungs running in so cold weather. Creates Asthma.

boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:56 am

Joe just now coming back to you on this. Your 500 gram trigger is what we Texans would call a hair trigger. My standard pistol trigger was a kilo as per the rules (and not a whisker more as a good smith had further polished the action) and it was itself pretty “twitchy”. I think the free pistol might have even approached 250 grams, it was so light you could have breathed on it and punched off a round.

All of the ready tables in our range had .22 holes punched in them from torqued up marksmen getting a tension twitch in their gun finger and punching a round through the table into the floor. More than once I had some yahoo on the point next to me yank off a round into the table before the targets turned and splatter my crisp, knife edge cadet pants with a spatter of fragments. That sort of thing will tend to get one’s attention.

One time we hosted a match attended by, among others, a little university from a nearby town who brought all their one day a week ROTC guys up. What a rodeo. They had a bunch of 30 year old Hi Standards that either hadn’t been cleaned in their life, or must have been oiled with axle grease. These things looked like they had been carried by desperate Cossacks during the blizzards of the 1917 Revolution, as backups to their Webley’s and 44 Russians.

One guy got the yips after their first round and his old loose pistol went full auto for four or five rounds and peppered his neighbor’s target. This stimulated a very animated reply from his neighbor and he decided it might be best to retire from action lest his neighbor force him into a duel on the spot. Another guy, his barrel was so shot out, when he reeled in his target it was filled with wide oval holes. Near as we could tell his billets were tumbling into the target. One other of his mates decided to use the “pistol up” ready position practiced by movie marksmen and let go a round into the acoustic ceiling halfway down range, taking out a flourescent tube light in a rather spectacular way. Yet another guy’s weapon jammed up the fourth or fifth time, and he whirled around to get help to clear the jam... while pointing the jammed weapon directly at the belly of the range officer, a crusty old gunny sergeant who on normal occasions moved at the speed of a sea slug. Faced with the possibility of being perforated on his own range, he suddenly developed the start speed of Usain Bolt and leaped about 10 feet in one jump behind his surplus steel gunny desk for cover. The rest of us scattered like chickens. I learned that day every man is brave until he looks down the barrel of a loaded weapon.

After the old gunny regained his composure, their entire team was summarily dismissed from the range, their retreat having been made all the more ignoble by the gunny making them stand outside while he personally (and very carefully) unloaded all their weapons, and having delicately and carefully tossed them into a large paper sack sitting on the concrete (clank clank clank) conveyed same to their team captain with the fatherly admonision, “Son, the road outta town is THAT way.”
Last edited by Boots on Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
captjack USER_AVATAR
CaptJack
Outlaw

Postby CaptJack » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:12 am

best of luck
22"OldSmokey • 2-burner gasser with GrillGrates
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:16 am

Hoping that things go well for All, Sir Joe :tup: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:47 am

Boots wrote:Joe just now coming back to you on this. Your 500 gram trigger is what we Texans would call a hair trigger. My standard pistol trigger was a kilo as per the rules (and not a whisker more as a good smith had further polished the action) and it was itself pretty “twitchy”. I think the free pistol might have even approached 250 grams, it was so light you could have breathed on it and punched off a round.

All of the ready tables in our range had .22 holes punched in them from torqued up marksmen getting a tension twitch in their gun finger and punching a round through the table into the floor. More than once I had some yahoo on the point next to me yank off a round into the table before the targets turned and splatter my crisp, knife edge cadet pants with a spatter of fragments. That sort of thing will tend to get one’s attention.

One time we hosted a match attended by, among others, a little university from a nearby town who brought all their one day a week ROTC guys up. What a rodeo. They had a bunch of 30 year old Hi Standards that either hadn’t been cleaned in their life, or must have been oiled with axle grease. These things looked like they had been carried by desperate Cossacks during the blizzards of the 1917 Revolution, as backups to their Webley’s and 44 Russians.

One guy got the yips after their first round and his old loose pistol went full auto for four or five rounds and peppered his neighbor’s target. This stimulated a very animated reply from his neighbor and he decided it might be best to retire from action lest his neighbor force him into a duel on the spot. Another guy, his barrel was so shot out, when he reeled in his target it was filled with wide oval holes. Near as we could tell his billets were tumbling into the target. One other of his mates decided to use the “pistol up” ready position practiced by movie marksmen and let go a round into the acoustic ceiling halfway down range, taking out a flourescent tube light in a rather spectacular way. Yet another guy’s weapon jammed up the fourth or fifth time, and he whirled around to get help to clear the jam... while pointing the jammed weapon directly at the belly of the range officer, a crusty old gunny sergeant who on normal occasions moved at the speed of a sea slug. Faced with the possibility of being perforated on his own range, he suddenly developed the start speed of Usain Bolt and leaped about 10 feet in one jump behind his surplus steel gunny desk for cover. The rest of us scattered like chickens. I learned that day every man is brave until he looks down the barrel of a loaded weapon.

After the old gunny regained his composure, their entire team was summarily dismissed from the range, their retreat having been made all the more ignoble by the gunny making them stand outside while he personally (and very carefully) unloaded all their weapons, and having delicately and carefully tossed them into a large paper sack sitting on the concrete (clank clank clank) conveyed same to their team captain with the fatherly admonision, “Son, the road outta town is THAT way.”
Thanks guys.

Boots. That's a great story. Can picture everybody running around. I would have been scared to death.

Even a 22 Cal. Is no joke and needs to be handled correctly. Safety is very strict at the shooting range here. The athletes must be at least 16 years before they can ski around the tracks with the rifle on their shoulder. Before that the rifle must stay at their spot at the range.

Thanks for sharing the story. I liked it a lot.

Return to “General Discussion”