Fi Fi Fi Fi Fi Fi FIGS

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Fi Fi Fi Fi Fi Fi FIGS

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:36 pm

Wish I liked them but I don't but the family does so I pick, bag and keep until "they" come get them. This one very large fig tree has produced abundantly since we moved here in 2012 and I'll bet I've picked 15 to 20 gallon zip lock bags every year off of it. When my freezer gets too full of what I don't eat, I start giving some to neighbors and my favorite "cute" cashiers at the Gro and Hwd Store. :laughing7: The only time I do anything with them is when I make a Fig and Pecan Quick Bread Loaf for my oldest Son and his M.I.L. - - - other than that I just pick move and disperse. :whiteflag:

I picked and gave 2 gallon bags to the Sons last weekend and then day before yesterday I picked another gallon plus these three this morning. ARRRRRGGGGHHHHH :banghead:
Figs2.jpg
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Re: Fi Fi Fi Fi Fi Fi FIGS

Postby Papa Tom » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:15 pm

I like figs but I'm thinkin' that after a few gallons.......... :drunk:
tarde venientibus ossa....
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:32 pm

It's almost that bad just picking them - - - sticky hands and itching arms means I love my Family and not Figs :roll:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
okie sawbones USER_AVATAR
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:37 pm

Man, Carole and her family love figs. They make fig preserves. We planted three trees when we moved here.
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:23 pm

Yeah, I made some preserves the first year we were here and even she who lives here with the Giant Sweet Tooth wouldn't eat it. The Fig Quick Bread with Pecans is tolerable for me but I'd rather make Cranberry Orange Quick Bread so I duz :laughing7:
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:51 pm

Looks like a constant haul. My son LOVES figs. He'd demolish probably a bag of those a day then end up spending the next day in the bathroom lol
(Insert witty signature here)
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:10 pm

as sweet as they are, they should make some mighty fine wine. I have made wine from a lot of different fruits, from prickly pair to pyracantha berries
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
smokemaster_p USER_AVATAR
SmokeMaster_P
Pilgrim

Postby SmokeMaster_P » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:41 am

I have a fig, pecan, and walnut tree at my house. I've have yet to have either. Squirrels tear everything up.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:02 am

spacetrucker wrote:as sweet as they are, they should make some mighty fine wine. I have made wine from a lot of different fruits, from prickly pair to pyracantha berries

ST, when we lived in the Hill Country, we made some Prickly Pear Jelly once and it was awesome but a pain in the fingers for sure. :laughing7:
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:38 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:
spacetrucker wrote:as sweet as they are, they should make some mighty fine wine. I have made wine from a lot of different fruits, from prickly pair to pyracantha berries

ST, when we lived in the Hill Country, we made some Prickly Pear Jelly once and it was awesome but a pain in the fingers for sure. :laughing7:

I just wait till mid or late August when the pear apple is ready to fall off the cactus, then use a pair of tongs to harvest them, and roll them around on the BBQ grill to singe the thorns off the apple, makes them lots easier to handle, the wine has a wonderful color and flavor unique unto itself. :D not to mention that if one uses Champaign yeast It can survive up to about 11% alcohol :drunk:
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:07 pm

I used a propane torch a couple of times and, believe it or not the Wiffy could peel them "BARE HANDED" with no problems :scratch: :dont: :roll: So I picked them with gloves and she peeled them bare handed. :whiteflag:
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:33 pm

My problem is those would never make it to the canning. I would eat those right out the bag. :D
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:35 pm

SmokeMaster_P wrote:I have a fig, pecan, and walnut tree at my house. I've have yet to have either. Squirrels tear everything up.

That's what pellet guns are for!! :rambo:
(Insert witty signature here)
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:13 pm

Got a "pure" bred sure nuff bona fide certified squirrel hound for the wife a while back - her favorite thing is chasin the little buggers, and she is some fast. Ain't got one yet but always in hot pursuit. One thing I didn't realize is she got a "cigar" habit - costing me a fortune in rawhide stogies.
Attachments
image.jpeg
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:50 am

nice pooch, Boots, :tup: :D :lol: :laughing7: :salut:

Return to “General Discussion”