Organic Lump Charcoal

This is a where news and announcements are posted and questions on how to use the forum.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Wed May 30, 2007 7:11 pm

Sap = bad
Water = gud
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
antaean7 USER_AVATAR
antaean7
Cowboy

Postby antaean7 » Thu May 31, 2007 8:45 am

so that means that my understanding of "dry" wood is that it has time to have the sap and other liquids to evaporate from the wood, which is about a year. NOT dry from the weather? When you guys "soak" the wood before placing it on the bed of coals how long do you soak it? So the longer you soak it the more water it holds = more smoke?
Again thank you guys for answering my odd questions, I do feel like I am anouying. BUT, one day SOON I will be answering questions as well. hahahaha
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Thu May 31, 2007 9:19 am

I think you have it. On the "seasoned" wood - it may not take a full year, depends on lots of factors that wood scientists could quote here. But seasoned wood is good, adding water to it make it burn slower and give off mo smoke. I dont normally add water to wood - I think Lyfe Tyme suggested it for the benefit of curing the pit only.

When I "grill" and use wood chips, I soak them in water to get mo smoke and a longer burn.
Gator

datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Thu May 31, 2007 9:35 am

I made sure that all the wood I burned in the woodstove was at least a year old but less than 5. After 5 it starts to rot.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Thu May 31, 2007 10:28 am

This is how my Daddy explained it to me and is JMHO. :D When you are smoking you want a hot, clean burning fire that will give you that wispy blue smoke. Good seasoned wood will do this. :D When adding other wood you want it dry so it will burn clean also. :D
About soaking wood chunks in water for smoking, he used to say why would I want to throw something on my fire ( that I worked hard to get it burning just right ) that is going to smolder and let off all that bitter white smoke. :D :D
Even when grilling I don't soak wood chunks. So what If it burns up a minute faster, just put some more on. :D :D
Jim
steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Postby SteerCrazy » Thu May 31, 2007 10:54 am

I agree with not soaking the chips before smoking or grilling. There is not much water that is pentrating through the chips or wood for that matter to really make a difference.
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Thu May 31, 2007 11:32 am

Agreed on wood chunks and for smoking, I dont soak the wood.

Let me clarify on soaking for grilling. I have a gasser and a charcoal grill.

On the gasser I use the "grilling chips" AKA the little, thin ones, not chunks. So I keep a bag of them outside and the stay soaked, otherwise they would burn up too qickly.

On the charcoal grill, I just use charcoal, sometimes throw a (dry) chunk on there.
Gator

antaean7 USER_AVATAR
antaean7
Cowboy

Postby antaean7 » Thu May 31, 2007 12:51 pm

Thank you again for all the responses. I am praying for good weather tonight so I can burn in the new pit. We live in League City which is between Houston and Galveston. We have had rain for 4-5 days now. Which is keeping me from burning in my pit. Today is very pretty, but we have a 40% chance of rain tonight. I can not get a break :banghead: . I am just itchin to burn it in. Like a little kid that can not open the new toy until you get home. :cry:
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Thu May 31, 2007 12:56 pm

Hey,
I smoke in the rain, snow whatever. Just need a few libations to get you started!
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee

Return to “TBBQF News, Announcements & Help Using the Forum”