The Big Reveal

This is a where news and announcements are posted and questions on how to use the forum.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

User avatar
Gator
Sheriff
Posts: 6583
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:53 pm
Location: Coppell, TX
Contact:

Postby Gator » Mon May 21, 2007 3:59 pm

You spare-rib guys have me re-thinking my whole loin REEEB Strategy. :D

I need to try it...wonder when - ah yes, there is a holiday coming up, maybe I'll take pictures too. 8)
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
User avatar
Scotty Da Q
Cowboy
Posts: 355
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:27 pm
Location: Fairfax, VT
Contact:

Postby Scotty Da Q » Mon May 21, 2007 4:31 pm

I'm a spare convert as well. More meat for the cheaper price, and I like how there's lil "snacks" for the cook about half way through. :lol:
Regards,
Scotty
OSD
Retired Lawman
Posts: 7290
Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:59 pm

Postby OSD » Mon May 21, 2007 4:54 pm

SC, I usually start with the top and bottom vents all the way open. When it gets to where I want the temp for putting the meat in I close the bottom vents to half. As the heat recovers and starts to going up I close the bottom to 1/4. Sometimes I have the bottom almost closed after it settles in. Then if I need to I adjust the top 1 turn at a time. One turn makes 5 to 10* drop in temp.Those top valves are 8 turns from closed to open ( mine are ). If you watch the thermo on the fire box, if you open the top door to cool the cooking chamber the firebox will start heating up and when you close it the top temp will spike. Mine takes about 2 hrs to settle all the way in. Then it's on cruise. I have found that I have better luck closing the bottom vents almost all the way. Once the top is hot I don't need as big or fast of a burn to maintain the temp. By cutting the vents down it slows the rate of burn. Just what works for me. :D :D
User avatar
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman
Posts: 2656
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:33 am
Location: Kansas City
Contact:

Postby SteerCrazy » Mon May 21, 2007 5:01 pm

Scotty Da Q wrote:I'm a spare convert as well. More meat for the cheaper price, and I like how there's lil "snacks" for the cook about half way through. :lol:


for some reason I'm not a skirt meat guy. I hate to say but I pitch it in the trash :oops:
User avatar
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman
Posts: 2656
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:33 am
Location: Kansas City
Contact:

Postby SteerCrazy » Mon May 21, 2007 5:02 pm

OSD wrote:SC, I usually start with the top and bottom vents all the way open. When it gets to where I want the temp for putting the meat in I close the bottom vents to half. As the heat recovers and starts to going up I close the bottom to 1/4. Sometimes I have the bottom almost closed after it settles in. Then if I need to I adjust the top 1 turn at a time. One turn makes 5 to 10* drop in temp.Those top valves are 8 turns from closed to open ( mine are ). If you watch the thermo on the fire box, if you open the top door to cool the cooking chamber the firebox will start heating up and when you close it the top temp will spike. Mine takes about 2 hrs to settle all the way in. Then it's on cruise. I have found that I have better luck closing the bottom vents almost all the way. Once the top is hot I don't need as big or fast of a burn to maintain the temp. By cutting the vents down it slows the rate of burn. Just what works for me. :D :D


Great info Jim and yes, it's 8 intervals open/close for the top stack.

And yes, I found that it took about 2 hours to get it cruising nicely. I'm going to get the temps where I like 'em about 2 hours before I put any meat on.

When you load your coals, do you put it directly under the water pan or on the sides??
Last edited by SteerCrazy on Mon May 21, 2007 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OSD
Retired Lawman
Posts: 7290
Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:59 pm

Postby OSD » Mon May 21, 2007 5:04 pm

Spares rule :shadenana: :shadenana: :drumnana: :shadenana: :shadenana:
SC, smoke the skirts and trimming and use them for seasoning meat. I add it to my beans. :D :D
User avatar
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman
Posts: 2656
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:33 am
Location: Kansas City
Contact:

Postby SteerCrazy » Mon May 21, 2007 5:06 pm

OSD wrote:Spares rule :shadenana: :shadenana: :drumnana: :shadenana: :shadenana:
SC, smoke the skirts and trimming and use them for seasoning meat. I add it to my beans. :D :D


good idea.....I had pit beans too and no brisket, coulda used the skirt meat :oops:
User avatar
Gator
Sheriff
Posts: 6583
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:53 pm
Location: Coppell, TX
Contact:

Postby Gator » Mon May 21, 2007 5:12 pm

" for some reason I'm not a skirt meat guy. I hate to say but I pitch it in the trash :oops: "

EEEKAAADDD!!!! Trash the goodies? :shock: :shock:

Jim, excellent idear. Would be awesome in pintos.
Last edited by Gator on Mon May 21, 2007 5:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
User avatar
mel
Bandolero
Posts: 700
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:48 pm
Location: GOSHEN IND
Contact:

Postby mel » Mon May 21, 2007 5:13 pm

this is my first chance to see your first cook and may I say WOWsers nice job and no you cant keep a cooker clean and do a good cook it is soom kined of a law i think
MELs We have you covered
www.mels-bbq-covers.com
made in the USA

1-800-569-3592
User avatar
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman
Posts: 2656
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:33 am
Location: Kansas City
Contact:

Postby SteerCrazy » Mon May 21, 2007 5:15 pm

mel wrote:this is my first chance to see your first cook and may I say WOWsers nice job and no you cant keep a cooker clean and do a good cook it is soom kined of a law i think


Mel, I got a couple splatters on the door and I was quick to wipe it off, but when you get fat drippings everywhere, well, you cant keep up! I figure it makes good seasoning and looks battle tested! :wink:
OSD
Retired Lawman
Posts: 7290
Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:59 pm

Postby OSD » Mon May 21, 2007 5:24 pm

I usually put my coals under the water pan. Kind of center front to back and side to side. I also refill the water pan about every 3 hrs. using hot water. I've found the amount of water also effects temp control and by using hot tap water it doesn't drop the temp but a couple degrees. I used to wait longer to fill the water pan, til it needed more water but I found the more water I added the more it effected the temp swing and I had to readjust my vents then. When I do it sooner I don't have the temp swings or have to readjust the vents. :D I bought a metal flower watering cans with the long spout for refilling the water. Works great. I just took off the shower head on the end of the spout. :D
User avatar
Scotty Da Q
Cowboy
Posts: 355
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:27 pm
Location: Fairfax, VT
Contact:

Postby Scotty Da Q » Mon May 21, 2007 6:09 pm

I took the meat of the boney scraps for ABT's ...turn out real good. Skirt meat is for ME ! :lol:
Regards,
Scotty
User avatar
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman
Posts: 2656
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:33 am
Location: Kansas City
Contact:

Postby SteerCrazy » Mon May 21, 2007 6:28 pm

OSD wrote:I usually put my coals under the water pan. Kind of center front to back and side to side. I also refill the water pan about every 3 hrs. using hot water. I've found the amount of water also effects temp control and by using hot tap water it doesn't drop the temp but a couple degrees. I used to wait longer to fill the water pan, til it needed more water but I found the more water I added the more it effected the temp swing and I had to readjust my vents then. When I do it sooner I don't have the temp swings or have to readjust the vents. :D I bought a metal flower watering cans with the long spout for refilling the water. Works great. I just took off the shower head on the end of the spout. :D


I put my coals under the pan as well but mine holds 8 gallons of water and I add about 7, that's the reason mine would take awhile to get up to temp. I need a 5gal food grade bucket for the water and I don't have to refill.
User avatar
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman
Posts: 2656
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:33 am
Location: Kansas City
Contact:

Postby SteerCrazy » Mon May 21, 2007 6:29 pm

Scotty Da Q wrote:I took the meat of the boney scraps for ABT's ...turn out real good. Skirt meat is for ME ! :lol:


I'll send ya mine!
User avatar
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman
Posts: 2656
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:33 am
Location: Kansas City
Contact:

Postby SteerCrazy » Mon May 21, 2007 6:31 pm

Gator wrote:You spare-rib guys have me re-thinking my whole loin REEEB Strategy. :D

I need to try it...wonder when - ah yes, there is a holiday coming up, maybe I'll take pictures too. 8)


I prefer the spares cause you don't have to wack em in half.....I like the whole rib in contact. When I did spares on the WSM i'd have to cut em in half to fit on the rib racks, for some reason that bothered me.

Return to “TBBQF News, Announcements & Help Using the Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests